Halloumi cheese is one of our favorite Greek products. When grilled, it is an excellent snack and addition to other mezes. Recently, while studying our new acquisition, Vefa Alexiadou's lucky book on Greek cuisine, we found a new way to serve halloumi cheese. This cheese served with grilled zucchini and lettuces, topped with a sauce based on olive oil, honey and balsamic vinegar, tastes so great that we decided to share with you a recipe for making this lettuce.
1. Start warming up the grill or barbeque pan.
2. Cut zucchini into thin slices, pour them with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix.
3. When the pan is warming up, grill slices of zucchini on both sides, then put in a bowl. Then cut the cheese halloumi into slices about 1 cm thick and grill them on each side. After zgrilling, you can cut them into smaller pieces.
4. Lay the lettuce on a plate, put on slices of grilled zucchini and halloumi cheese. Sprinkle whole with sliced mint leaves.
5. Prepare dressing in a separate jar. Mix the balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper, add olive oil and honey. Mix the ingredients together well and pour the lettuce in a prepared sauce.
This is one of our favorite salads of Greek cuisine. Along with the appearance of the young bean on sale, we absorb a lot of it. For a salad to come out tasty beans must be young, so in our latitude we can enjoy it for a very short time.
With this very simple and tasty salad, we met for the first time in the Sfakia region of Crete. To prepare it you need a small amount of ingredients, and the effect is great. The basic ingredient here is a certain bean called black eye with a very distinctive appearance.