Tirokafteri is a Greek dip made on the basis of feta, excellent for bread or grilled vegetables. The way it is seasoned differs depending on the region of Greece. You can find versions with the addition of garlic, lemon juice, hot pepper or oregano. In the most orthodox version it consists only of feta, olive oil and hot pepper. We liked tirokafteri with the addition of Greek yogurt, which soothes the taste of feta and hot pepper, and at the same time allows you to achieve a much lighter consistency.
Tirokaferi is very simple and quick to cook. It's enough to mix ingredients together and you can already serve it as a meze with delicious bread. We strongly urge you to try this slightly spicy paste.
1. Cut the peppers along, remove seeds, and then chop in a crusher.
2. Of course, feta with yoghurt can be mixed by hand, but it will be much easier to do this with a blender in which we previously chopped the pepper.
3. After pre-mixing the dairy products and peppers into a blender cup, pour in a measured amount of oil and vinegar, then stir again until a homogeneous mass is obtained.
4. Put the ready paste into an earthen bowl, which will absorb excess moisture. This is especially important if you plan to store it until the next day.
5. Paste no salt, because a sufficient amount of salt is already in the feta itself. After putting it into a bowl, sprinkle the whole with wild mountain oregano from Crete. This dish tastes best together with fresh bread.
The popular feta or mizithra are found not only in salty but also in sweet dishes. For example, let the feta, described here, baked in filo with honey and sesame. It is a quick and very simple snack.
Tzatziki is one of the simplest and most popular Greek sauces, which will be a great addition to many dishes. Although it is usually served to gyros in pita pancakes, it will also be great for grilled and fried vegetables or as an addition to meats.
The Greek cuisine shows that the broad bean which is also known in our country does not have to be just a seasonal ingredient. In the dried form, which is practically unavailable in our stores, it is a component of interesting dishes. Today, we offer you one of them, i.e. a paste of dried bean.