One of the basic ingredients of Greek cuisine are pulses. Popular and well known dishes from beans or chickpeas are prepared in a variety of ways. In their recipes, however, the Greeks also reach slightly less obvious and popular ingredients, such as dried beans. Its view on store shelves may be a bit surprising because broad beans in this form are little known in our country. However, in Greece it is available in most grocery stores. If you would like to prepare some dish containing dried beans, you must buy it during your holidays in Greece or browse the assortment of shops with Arabic food, where it is available.
Preparation of any dish from dried beans is time-consuming because, like any dried legume plant, it requires pre-wetting for several hours in water. One of the ideas for a dish in which it is used is a paste for bread or vegetables that resembles a fava or hummus. Served with oil and olives and optionally thickly chopped onion will be an addition to small snacks (meze). Our recipe is quite simple and contains a small number of additives. However, if you like the taste of it, it's worth experimenting by adding other ingredients such as tahini, garlic or lemon juice.
1. Pour broad beans in cold water and steep all night (about 10 hours).
2. Then drain and remove the skin. It is labor intensive but necessary.
3. Peeled beans pour in a pot about 3 glasses of water and cook on strong heat for one hour under cover. It is worth checking in half of the cooking whether the amount of water that is left is enough so that the beans will not burn.
4. After cooking, broad beans are blended with the remaining water. Add the grated onions, salt, pepper and some olive oil to the resulting puree. Mix thoroughly and simmer until the whole has the consistency of a fairly thick paste.
5. After evaporation, we serve as an addition to bread as so-called spread by combining them with, for example, dried fruit, fresh or dried tomato, olives, etc.
6. The unused paste can be put into a jar and pour over with oil. In this form, you can store it in the fridge for a few days.
We were eating this meal for the first time in Rethymno in one of the humble family taverns outside the main tourist trail. We were surprised by the slightly different taste of breadcrumbs that we wanted to recreate in our kitchen. As we have managed to establish with the friendly Greeks, it is the addition of beer that is responsible for this characteristic taste.
Feta from the oven is a great way for a quick and very tasty dish that will appeal to fry-eaters and lovers of Greek cuisine. The absolute condition of success is the use of the original Greek fete and not the Polish substitute, which has nothing to do with real feta. As with other dishes, there are several ways to prepare feta from the oven. If the dish is to fulfill the task of a snack, we only need one feta packet for 2 people.
Dolmades is one of the most popular Greek meat dishes. It occurs both in the vegetarian version and with meat. Young grape leaves are needed to prepare them. And it is in the leaves that the key to success lies. They must be young and very delicate. The best and the most delicate ones are collected around May. However, if you do not have the opportunity to collect fresh leaves, you can use ready-made leaves from the lagoon. However, the effect will be better if you use fresh leaves.