Probably some of you will be surprised to see the recipe for pizzas among recipes for traditional Greek dishes. After all, the dish was invented by the Italians .... Well, the genesis of pizza is not as unambiguous as it was thought to be, because it was the ancient Greeks began to bake herbal flat bread with oil and garlic. Although the pizza rather does not belong to the canon of Greek cuisine, the modern Greeks form their own version of pizza based mostly on local vegetables, cheeses, and also olives. Mozarella is replaced by feta cheese or other Greek cheeses. Greek pizza is therefore a lighter equivalent of your Italian sister, but it is equally delicious :)
Recipe for a cake we serve as we usually use, it comes out of it a nice thin cake. If you have your favorite recipe for the bottom of the pizza, you can also use it. In this case, it really does not matter much.
1. Sieve the measured amount of flour in a bowl, add yeast, sugar salt. Then mix all ingredients thoroughly with a wooden spoon and gradually add water.
2. After pre-mixing, leave the dough in a bowl and knead it by hand until a homogeneous consistency is obtained.
3. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let stand for about 30 minutes in a warm place until it grows. The dough is to double its volume.
4. Spread the plate on which we will bake the pizza quite abundantly with olive oil and put a piece of cake on it, which we spread with your fingers over the entire surface of the plate. The surface of the dough should be leveled so that it has a similar thickness in each place. If the dough is too sticky, you can oil them with oil.
5. Tomato sauce can be prepared on the basis of a homemade puree or made fresh with 2-3 tomatoes. If we have such a homemade purée then add salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil, a spoon of oregano and basil.
6. If the sauce is prepared on the basis of fresh tomatoes in this pot for a dozen or so minutes, stew cut into finely-peeled tomatoes together with oil, salt, pepper and herbs (oregano, basil). Before putting the sauce on the pizza you have to cool it down. It should not be too watery.
7. Spread the finished sauce on the dough. On the top we put slices of tomatoes, cut onions, strips of pepper. Sprinkle the whole with grated feta and put the sliced olives on top.
8. Bake the pizza in an oven preheated to 220 degrees for about 15 minutes. If its sides will be easy to leave and the bottom will be nicely flushed the pizza will be ready.
Omelettes in Greece are prepared with the addition of various types of vegetables. However, we would like to offer you a somewhat original recipe referring to the Greek omelettes, in which the main additions are asparagus, spring onion and feta.
Greeks have to admit that they know how to make delicious food from the spinach popular in this region. Of course, spinach in the Greek version has nothing to do with the little appetizing mash that is usually made in Polish homes. Spinach combined with feta served in a filo pastry can occur in the form of a large casserole (Spanakopita Σπανακόπιτα) or in the form of small croissants (Tiropites Τυροπιτες). Spanakopita is a popular dish and is one of our favorite Greek dishes. The ingredients for its preparation are available in our stores.
Recently, we managed to buy an okra, which in Crete is a very popular and cheap vegetable. In Poland, in a fresh form, we met her for the first time and unfortunately her price was much higher than the one we pay in Greece. Ok, this time we cooked in the oven with a large amount of olive oil and tomato sauce. We put a recipe in case someone from you also bought an okra and did not know what to do with it ;-)