Eggplants are a popular ingredient of Greek dishes and can be found in flagship dishes such as moussaka or briam. The main role of aubergines also play in papoutsakia, imam bayildi and melitzanosalata. For these tasty dishes you need to add another Greek way to prepare this vegetable, or eggplant with feta.
1. Eggplants should be cut along, sprinkle with salt and leave for half an hour. After this time, when the vegetables are allowed to juice, rinse them under running water and dry them well with paper towels.
2. Warm the oil in a frying pan and put the aubergine halves. We fry each of them from both sides until the skin turns slightly brown.
3. While the eggplant is fried, prepare a sauce on a separate pan. We put the garlic pressed through the press on hot oil and fry it for no more than a minute. Then add either canned tomatoes or fresh grated vegetables. Season the whole with salt, pepper and oregano and fry until some of the water evaporates, and the sauce itself will become quite thick.
4. Just before the end of frying, add chopped parsley and some crumbled feta to the tomatoes and mix the ingredients.
5. Put fried aubergines into a small ovenproof dish sprinkled with olive oil, arranging them with a cross-section up. The size of the dish should be chosen so that the aubergines do not tip over.
6. Put the sauce on each half of aubergine and finally sprinkle with the rest of the crumbled feta.
7. Put the dish in the oven preheated to 170 degrees and bake until the eggplant is soft. It usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
We serve the dish hot.
Recently, we served a recipe for a spicy pumpkin pie baked in a sweet version. This, of course, is not the only way to prepare this universal vegetable. Greeks often also prepare a pumpkin roasted in filo, but with the addition of cheeses, on the salty.
Italian Fennel is a common ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine. In Greek cuisine, its characteristic slightly aniseed flavor can be found, among others, in sensational kaltsouni and pitta casseroles. Today we would like to share with you the recipe for pitto with Italian fennel.
Briam is a simple Greek vegetable casserole prepared according to traditional recipes based on potatoes, eggplants and courgettes with the addition of tomatoes, garlic and parsley, very much oiled with olive oil. This recipe has many modifications that differ in the addition of ingredients or the way of preparation.