Fakes is a popular Greek soup prepared on the basis of lentils. It is quite dense and filling, so it is especially happy to be served during the fast preceding the Greek holidays. In our climate, it will definitely work during winter and autumn months.
Although the preparation of fakes is simple and quite fast, however, the choice of the right kind of lentils is crucial. Brown is best suited for this purpose, which does not break up during cooking. Other types of lentils, unfortunately, quickly turn into a mash, which, although it does not lose the quality of taste, however, visually it does not look very attractive.
Fakes can be prepared in a classic form without the addition of carrots and tomatoes. Nevertheless, if you want to achieve a more rich taste, it is better to add these ingredients. Finally, a few tablespoons of vinegar are added to this soup. It is not necessary, however, in our opinion, it is worth to supplement the taste of Fakes with this ingredient. As an addition, the wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar from Crete will be the best. It's vain to look for it in our home stores, but fortunately it is available in some of the online counterparts involved in importing Greek food. Of course, Cretan balsamic vinegar you can buy during your stay on the island.
1. Pour lentils in a saucepan, pour enough cold water to cover it to a height of about 3 cm. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain off the sieve.
2. Wipe the pot dry and warm up the olive oil in it. The amount of oil is a matter of taste. The Greeks add a lot of it, but you can limit the amount a bit.
3. Put the chopped onion, finely chopped garlic and carrot on hot oil. Fry the vegetables until the onions are glazed, then add lentils and pour with water. We add puree and / or tomatoes.
4. Season with oregano, laurel leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 minutes until the lentils are soft. Finally, after cooking, add vinegar.
5. The soup can be served with delicious bread.
Fasoláda is a Greek bean soup considered one of the most popular soups of this country. Fantastically suited for winter days, because it is thick, warming and filling. Despite the fact that it is not cooked on meat, and its main ingredients are only vegetables, this soup is delicious, full of flavor and aroma. In our home, it has permanently entered the canon of favorite soups.
The presented vegetable soup with the addition of xinochodros is tasty but completely different in taste than traditional Polish vegetable soups. It is also simple and fast to prepare. And in addition to xinochondros it does not require any other Cretan specialties.
Each kitchen in the world has its own way to tomato sauce, but the most important difference is in the spices that the individual nations spice up the simplest and best of sauces. The variety of spices that are popular in a given region of the world is also landing in a tomato sauce every day. We love tomatoes in absolutely every form, so every day the sauce made from them reigns in different forms.